Every good sugar cookie recipe needs a complementary icing go on top (though sometimes a naked cookie paired with a hot cup of coffee is just what the soul needs). There are many options out there but my go to has always been royal icing. The ability to change the consistency, so you get a smooth finish, works perfectly for achieving that perfect decorated cookie.
This recipe makes a large batch so it can be cut in half if you’re only making a dozen cookies or less.
2 pounds (one bag) confectioner’s sugar
5 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 tsp cream of tartar*
3 tsp oil-free extract or emulsion**
1/2 cups warm water
- mix icing sugar, cream of tartar and meringue powder on low until combined
- combine water and extract in a separate bowl
- slowly add water mixture to the dry ingredients until smooth
- adjust speed to medium high and mix for 3 minutes
- icing is ready when stiff peaks form
* cream of tartar is used to stabilize the egg whites, if your meringue powder already contains this than you can omit
** oil free is very important as the oil will cause the icing to separate
Picture references coming as soon as I have another batch to make!
Thanks for reading!